When mirror becomes more than just physical reflection of ourselves, when, suddenly, we are able to see MORE than everything we would ever imagine. That is the beginning of the SMART era…
A magic mirror is a raspberry pi powered monitor behind a double sided mirror. A mostly black web page allows you to add some widgets to the mirror’s reflection as if by magic. This version includes widgets for displaying the weather forecast, the date/time and a nice randomly generated greeting. No low level hardware hacking required, just some basic woodworking and some code I’ve already put together.
What you’ll need
- A monitor
- A double sided acryllic mirror fit to the size of the monitor
- A few 2 x 4’s to build a case around the monitor
- Thin wood to build the forward facing mirror frame, I used 1/8 x 3’ board
- A raspberry pi and it’s needed components, i.e. the power supply, HDMI cord, wifi usb dongle, and a keyboard for initial setup
- Or just buy a complete CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 kit for convienence so you don’t have to buy individual parts.
- Basic woodworking tools like a saw, sander, screwdriver
- Screws, liquid nails